The Nuremberg Christkind - Need-to-Know Facts from Yesterday and Today
The Nuremberg Christkind is without a doubt the most charming ambassador of Christmas City Nuremberg. But how do you become the Christkind? Where does this tradition come from? Who is the current Nuremberg Christkind and what are her duties? Wonderful and thought-provoking stories surround this centuries-old symbol of Christmas.
10 facts about the Nuremberg Christkind
- The office of the Nuremberg Christkind has existed since 1933.
- Since 1970, the Nuremberg Christ Child has been personified by a girl.
- The Nuremberg Christ Child is always elected for 2 years.
- She must be at least 16 years old and at least 1.60 m tall.
- In addition to openness and cordiality, the Nuremberg Christkind must have no fear of heights and be weatherproof.
- The clothing of the Nuremberg Christkind is based on the famous Rauschgoldengel, which traditionally decorates the tops of many Nuremberg Christmas trees.
- The Nuremberg Christkind opens the Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt from the gallery of the Frauenkirche with the famous prologue.
- The Christkind's other duties include numerous visits to social and charitable institutions in the region.
- The Christkind is chosen by a jury of representatives from the media, associations and municipal offices. The people of Nuremberg make the preselection online or by mail.
- The „Christkindlmarket Chicago“ is opened by the processor of the predecessor of the current incumbent.