On the river side, wooden galleries with metal waterspouts; toward the Henkersteg, a bridge with a battlement walk. In the 13th century, the ”penultimate city wall“ ran along here: at this point, a fortified bridge over the Pegnitz connected the two halves of the city. The building was erected 1446/48 to house lepers who were allowed into the city for three days at Easter, during which time they received food and clothing and medical attention.
After ca 1571, the building was used to store wine - hence the name. It later served as workhouse and spinnery and to lodge poor families. In 1950 it was turned into student housing, whereby the internal structural substance was virtually obliterated.

Key facts:

  • one of the most important historical buildings in town
  • once used to house lepers during Holy Week
  • from 1571 used to store wine
  • in 1950, renovated to create student housing
  • the 48-meter-long structure is the largest half-timbered building in Germany