Building begun about 1250. Originally built as a three-aisled basilica in the high Gothic style; later extended with an imposing late Gothic hall choir (1439-1477).
Magnificent west facade with splendid portal richly decorated with statuary and rose window (mid-14th c.). Two towers 80 and 81 meters high. Important works of art: the Annunciation by Veit Stoß (1518), tabernacle by Adam Kraft (1496), medieval altars, memorial plaques, stained glass.
Further useful information on the St Lorenz Church. (info in German)
Church Services in St. Lorenz (info in German)
What’s On in St. Lorenz Church (info in German)
Music St. Lorenz (info in German)
The Gothic old-Franconian Church of St. James in the southwest part of the Old Town, in the so-called “St. James’ Quarter”, was originally the hospice church for the Teutonic Order.
St. Martha’s Church, built in the second half of the 14th c. and today a Reformed Protestant parish church, is known for its notable original stained glass windows.
Originally, the St. Elizabeth Church was part of a former secondary house of the Teutonic Order of the Knights.
1355/58 Emperor Charles IV had the synagogue razed (pogrom 1349) and replaced by the first Gothic three-aisled hall church in Franconia, constructed as an imperial royal chapel.
The convent building was demolished in 1899, the church partially destroyed during a bomb attack on March 16, 1945.
Nuremberg's oldest city parish church was built ca. 1215 as a three-aisled Late Romanesque pillared basilica with two choirs. As early as 1309 the original side aisles were widened and altered in the Gothic style.