1355/58 Emperor Charles IV had the synagogue razed (pogrom 1349) and replaced by the first Gothic three-aisled hall church in Franconia, constructed as an imperial royal chapel.
1361 the imperial regalia were displayed to the public for the first time for the christening of his son Wenzel, heir to the throne. The “Männleinlaufen” (mechanical clock and glockenspiel, every day at noon) recalls the proclamation of the Golden Bull of 1356: seven Electors pay homage to Emperor Karl IV sitting on his throne. Richly decorated interior. The Tucher altar (ca. 1445) is considered the most important work of panel painting in the pre-Dürer period.
Erected in 1270, the former Church of the Poor Clares is the site of the Catholic Counseling Services. In accordance with the official title "Open Church St. Klara", it attracts those without close church ties by offering a...
The St. Giles’ Church, Nuremberg’s only remaining Baroque religious building, dates back to the former Schottenkloster (Irish Benedictine monastery) which was erected here around 1140 on the site of a royal estate from the earliest...
After a fire in rebuilding process!
St. Martha’s Church, built in the second half of the 14th c. and today a Reformed Protestant parish church, is known for its notable original stained glass windows.
Originally, the St. Elizabeth Church was part of a former secondary house of the Teutonic Order of the Knights.
Building begun about 1250. Originally built as a three-aisled basilica in the high Gothic style; later extended with an imposing late Gothic hall choir (1439-1477).
Nuremberg's oldest city parish church was built around 1215 as a three-aisled Late Romanesque pillared basilica with two choirs. As early as 1309 the original side aisles were widened and altered in the Gothic style.