Ingredients (serves 4-5):
- 2 kg oxtail, cut in pieces (best from Gourmetmetzger Wolf, Bucherstraße, Nuremberg)
- 0,5 kg roasting vegetables (celery, carrots, onions, cut in large chunks)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 l red wine (I like a Portugieser or light Dornfelder)
- ca. 1,5 l meat stock (In an emergency also instant)
- 20 g turtle soup spice (best from Wurzelsepp in Nuremberg)
- 150 g bacon or bacon rind
- Salt and pepper
It's best to prepare this in a large roasting pan. Brown the oxtail with the bacon in the pan in a little hot oil. Add the roasting vegetables and cook until they take on color. Add the tomato paste and cook briefly; then add the red wine. Reduce slightly. Fill the pan with meat stock until the oxtail is covered. Cover the pan and summer for ca. 2 hours in a preheated 170 °C oven. Then add the turtle soup spice and salt and pepper to taste. Thicken the ragout with a little flour and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Bread dumplings or mashed potatoes are an excellent side dish. I love a fresh lamb's lettuce salad - in Nuremberg fresh from the "Knoblauchsland". As an accompanying wine I recommend a strong red, such as an oak-cask-ripened Cabernet Sauvignon or an Aprilés from the Castell vineyard.