In 1508 in Nuremberg, Frederick the Wise issued Cranach a letters patent. From then on, he used the emblem from his coat-of-arms, a winged snake, as his signature. Similarities between of early works of Cranach and Dürer’s art have led researchers to conjecture that Cranach visited Nuremberg before he entered his employment at the court in Saxony.
The Germanisches Nationalmuseum houses an important collection of Cranach paintings – spanning from the early work of Cranach the Elder to the heart-shaped Colditzer Altar (1584) from Lucas Cranach the Younger. These give an excellent overview of the work of this family of painters.
- Between Venus and Luther: Cranach's Media of Temptation:
Presentation in the permanent exhibit "Renaissance, Baroque, Enlightenment" of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum.
Dates: May 21, 2015 - Ma 22, 2016
Since 2013, Nuremberg is a member of the "Ways to Cranach" association
In the future, 12 cities – Kronach, Coburg, Nuremberg, Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Weimar, Schneeberg, Neustadt on the Orla, Dessau-Rosslau, Eisenach, Meissen, Erfurt and Gotha – will work together with notable Cranach experts to preserve the artistic heritage of the Cranach family at the places it was first created. By uniting tourism and art historical concerns, the association hopes to support this preservation and spread awareness of the importance of the Cranach work to a wider public.
More information about "Ways to Cranach - A Route of Discovery"