When city architect Hans Beheim demolished the inner Frauentor in 1498 (since ca 1250 the penultimate city wall had run along here), a granary was built into the former moat. It was the largest (84 x 20 x 29 m) of the 12 civic storehouses which guaranteed food supplies in times of crisis. The three-storey sandstone structure had a five-storey dormer bay in its gabled roof. On the narrow ends, carts could be driven inside. Roof-top hoists facilitated the storing of goods. The eastern gable is decorated by a network of blind ogee arches; the lancet-arched portal bears the city’s coat-of-arms (Adam Kraft, 1502).
After 1572, the granary also served as weighhouse and customhouse (Maut = toll). Since 1897/98, commercial use. During restoration in 1953, the half-timbered dormer was reconstructed in plastered masonry. The impressive cellar (26 pillars) now houses a restaurant.
At a glance
InformationMauthalle (Former Customs House)
Ecke Königstraße / Hallplatz