Nuremberg's oldest city parish church was built around 1215 as a three-aisled Late Romanesque pillared basilica with two choirs. As early as 1309 the original side aisles were widened and altered in the Gothic style.
Destroyed during World War II like the rest of the city, St. Sebald was reconstructed in 1957 and reconsecrated. The reliquary shrine (ca. 1397) in the tomb cast in bronze by Peter Vischer and his sons (1508-1519) is prominently located in the interior of the church. The bones of Nuremberg patron saint Sebaldus are presumed to rest in the silver embossed “casket”.
After a fire in rebuilding process!
St. Martha’s Church, built in the second half of the 14th c. and today a Reformed Protestant parish church, is known for its notable original stained glass windows.
Erected in 1270, the former Church of the Poor Clares is the site of the Catholic Counseling Services. In accordance with the official title "Open Church St. Klara", it attracts those without close church ties by offering a...
Building begun about 1250. Originally built as a three-aisled basilica in the high Gothic style; later extended with an imposing late Gothic hall choir (1439-1477).
1355/58 Emperor Charles IV had the synagogue razed (pogrom 1349) and replaced by the first Gothic three-aisled hall church in Franconia, constructed as an imperial royal chapel.
The St. Giles’ Church, Nuremberg’s only remaining Baroque religious building, dates back to the former Schottenkloster (Irish Benedictine monastery) which was erected here around 1140 on the site of a royal estate from the earliest...
Originally, the St. Elizabeth Church was part of a former secondary house of the Teutonic Order of the Knights.