1355/58 Emperor Charles IV had the synagogue razed (pogrom 1349) and replaced by the first Gothic three-aisled hall church in Franconia, constructed as an imperial royal chapel.
The Gothic old-Franconian Church of St. James in the southwest part of the Old Town, in the so-called “St. James’ Quarter”, was originally the hospice church for the Teutonic Order.
Nuremberg's oldest city parish church was built ca. 1215 as a three-aisled Late Romanesque pillared basilica with two choirs. As early as 1309 the original side aisles were widened and altered in the Gothic style.
The St. Giles’ Church, Nuremberg’s only remaining Baroque religious building, dates back to the former Schottenkloster (Irish Benedictine monastery) which was erected here around 1140 on the site of a royal estate from the earliest...
The convent building was demolished in 1899, the church partially destroyed during a bomb attack on March 16, 1945.
Originally, the St. Elizabeth Church was part of a former secondary house of the Teutonic Order of the Knights.