Oper des Staatstheaters (Nuremberg Opera)

On 1st September 1905, the newly-built Nuremberg Opera House opened its doors to the public with Richard Wagner’s “Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg”. The theatre quickly became a focal point of Nuremberg’s social and cultural scene. The impressive building, designed by the famous Berlin architect Heinrich Seeling, is situated close to the medieval city walls, which encircle Nuremberg’s old city. Internationally renowned singers, such as Enrico Caruso, Benjamino Gigli, Birgit Nilsson, José Carreras and Gwyneth Jones have all performed at the theatre over the years. Leading conductors, including Christian Thielemann and Phillippe Auguin have also been involved with the theatre as general music directors.

The theatre withstood the economic problems of the 1920s, but was damaged during the Second World War. In 1951, the theatre reopened with the approval and support of the Allies. Under Karl Pschigode, who held the post of general manager for nigh-on twenty years, the theatre quickly returned to its former glory, with the first German performance of Bernstein’s musical “West Side Story” being just one of the highlights of the post-war period.

In the 70s, the theatre pursued more innovative repertoire, with very well-attended performances of operas by Hans Werner Henze, Isang Yun, Luigi Nono and Bernd Alois Zimmermann. The then music director Hans Gierster, who remained at the house until 1988, promoted modern works, and with new and daring direction, audiences were pushed to consider new ideas and views.